Adversity. Crossroads. Revolution. Remembrance. Possibility. Inspiration.
What an amazing video. If you haven’t seen it yet, WATCH IT. I’ve even made it easy for you and posted it right above. 2011 sure did bring a lot to the table, but first I want to talk about this video. It is so moving. Amazing images and videos paired with such a touching song, I was completely inspired by this video. Not to mention the many tears I shed while watching, but that’s also probably because I’m an emotional person. Such incredible (both bad and good) events took place throughout this year and YouTube and Google made an amazing video depicting it all in such a clever, avant-garde way. Using and promoting Google’s many features, the video follows some of the most memorable and inspirational changes in 2011. From the worldwide events such as the Death of Osama Bin Laden, the Japan Earthquake, and the Royal Wedding to the more intimate details like a soldier surprising his mother early, the 29-year old woman hearing herself for the first time, and the son telling his father that he’s gay, this video hits all aspects of the incredible change in 2011.
With this video brought much personal reflection on my own 2011 and the events that occurred in my life. No doubt that 2011 brought about some serious change for me. I was in my first year of college and still working on adjusting to life on campus. A significant relationship ended and with this I faced many emotional changes that have resulted in a better and stronger person. I discovered my passion for PR and worked towards advancing my experience and knowledge in PR. I’ve now become an active member in PRSSA and landed my first PR internship that will begin in just a few days! I’ve made new friends but also kept the old. I’ve celebrated great things and mourned some losses. I discovered a healthy life, understanding nutrition and incorporating more activity into my daily life. With that I ran my first 5K and discovered that running is something I love. The list is endless but it’s safe to say that 2011 was an interesting and life-changing year for me. Of course, every year brings with it change but I truly believe that 2011 has brought about greater change in myself than any year in the past and I can gladly say that I’m happy with the person into which 2011 has made me.
And of course, with reflection comes new goals. Here are my 2012 goals and resultions:
1. Appreciate my friends. Obviously I love my friends and I don’t know how I could make it through without them. But I will say that I’m not the best at keeping in touch or reaching out when I’m in need or when my friends are struggling. In 2012 I hope to be a better friend, to take advantage of technology that makes communication easy, and be there for my friends.
2. Run a 10K. As I said above, healthy living has become integral to my every day and with a 5K in the books, I’m ready for bigger things. I want to continue doing 5Ks but use those races and my personal runs as training methods towards a 10K. It will take dedication but I know I can do it.
3. Be happy. This one’s pretty vague. But with a lot of adversity in 2011, I was not always happy. And I’m sure I’ll have my moments of sadness in 2012 but when those hit, I want to make an honest effort at having a positive attitude and realizing how fortunate I am. No matter how hard things are, they could be a lot worse. In 2012, I plan to have a more positive outlook.
4. Get an internship. I know I already have one in 2012, but I’m itching for more experience in the PR world and another internship is the way to get that. Looking towards bigger and better things in 2012!
5. Save money. I’ve had a summer job for the past couple of years that paid well enough for me to make it last (barely) through the year. But now I have a part time job at school that brings in some extra cash and I’d love to also find another job. Spending money comes very easily for me but with college and the life I envision for myself in the future, I need to start saving. I hope to realize my necessities and spend less money in 2012.
6. Bake more. Baking is another thing I’ve fallen in love with in 2011. There have been many cookies in my 2011 history and with this new passion have come personal goals in the distant future that I’d like to pursue. I think I’ve mastered the art of cookies but I’m hoping to move onto bigger and better things. Like cupcakes!